Life in the Slow Lane

Life in the Slow Lane

Tuesday, July 04, 2006

The Move From Heaven/Hell

The move was a bit of a challenge but it is over now. Sort of. I knew I didn’t like moving but I had forgotten how much. And this was the easiest move yet. Sort of.

Highlights of The Move

-moving into a brand new apartment thereby avoiding that Fear Factor Moment you get when you walk into the new place and see how poorly the old tenants had cleaned. I have had no time period in which to feel like the Other People Ick has been fully cleaned and replaced with my own funk. I walked in and felt like it was my place.

-Yoshi loves the balcony and so do I. I have a fabulous view that only gets better at night time with all the lights. Well, maybe Yoshi doesn’t appreciate the sights like I do but she is having a great time eating the plants in my patio garden.

-in a concrete building I don’t hear my neighbours at all. This is so refreshing after being forced to listen to every gory detail of my neighbours’ lives over the last 6 years. I am not a voyeur. I don’t want to know.

-actually having a real kitchen with a real stove and oven and fridge and cupboards and everything. Did I mention I have a self cleaning oven? Oh yeah.

-being able to do laundry whenever and not have to wrestle with other people’s clothes when they leave them in the washer or dryer for days on end. My laundry machines. MINE!

-a spectacular collection of bruises all over my body from hauling stuff around. Really impressive stuff. Seriously.

-closets, closets and more closets.

-shopping at IKEA for new stuff.

Lowlights of The Move

-movers being 4 hours late. This being the first time I have ever used movers I did not know that movers are NEVER on time. If I had known that I would never have busted my ass to be ready on time. I could have slept in, dammit.

-no phone. Six days later and I still have no phone. The repair guy came and there is some sort of screw up with the wiring in the walls. It is possible I may never have a phone. I wonder how the landlords are going to figure that out. In the meantime I am cultivating a sweet little brain tumor from using my cell phone for everything.

-realizing that although my new place is bigger the layout is so vastly different (and by that I mean fucked up) from my old place none of my furniture fits and the room flow sucks and I cannot figure out where to put what. I want to go all Martha and have it like something out of Architectural Digest but I have to concede failure (for now) and settle for a mediocre dorm type room. Maybe I should just furnish the place with Kraft Dinner and be done with it.

-the crappiest shower head on the planet. I can pee stronger than that.

-Yoshi quickly christening the carpet with hurl after eating my patio plants.

-shopping at IKEA for new stuff.

I still have boxes to unpack and I still have to figure out how I can maximize my space vs. getting full usage of it as well. I have to go shopping some more at IKEA (the only affordable furniture place in town) but also try to keep my place from looking too IKEAish. In my old place the Victorian features kept things from getting that way. I don’t want to fall into the beige wall trap. You know what I mean.

So overall I really like my place but am still unhappy with the way things look. I have to remember it took me years to get my old place the way I liked it so I have to give this place some time too. So in the meantime I will be dragging my furniture around and looking through catalogues and measuring things.

Being busy making my house a home.

The View From My Balcony

25 comments:

Susie said...

Oh, kranki! Oh, honey, I actually gasped at your view. Breathtaking! I am beyond thrilled for you. You'll get it just perfect, don't stress about the furniture. Wonderful ideas will come to you in your sleep!
SO HAPPY FOR YOU! May your new home be blessed, and all who live and visit there.
(This just makes me SO happy today :)

Anonymous said...

WOW! That is an absolutely gorgeous view!!!!!

Congratulations. I loved your old place, and can't wait to see what you do with this one. Are there going to be interior shots soon?

Love

mrs b

Anonymous said...

Wow, that IS a gorgeous view! That plus the full kitchen and lack of other people's funk is totally worth all the negatives you mentioned.

I don't think it matters where you move--the old stuff never quite fits right in the new place.

Your line about the shower head cracked me up! Despite its problems, I'm very happy for you. Congrats on the new place!

Closet Metro said...

Welcome Home, Krankolicious, Welcome Home.

Anonymous said...

AWESEOME! Welcome Home.

lawyerchik said...

That is one heckuva view you got there, kid. (totally jealous now...)

Enjoy your new home!!

LadyBug said...

Spectacular view! Welcome home, Kranki.

hemlock said...

That view is stupidly awesome!!

Hopefully you can figure out a flow for your furniture soon.

Happy rearranging! ;)

c said...

Oh. The view, she is breathtaking! I didn't read the other comments, so forgive me if I repeat. Regarding the layout difficulties, here's what you do: get some grid/graph paper and draw an approximation of the room you're looking to arrange upon it. Measure everything, include outlets and windows and light switches. Then make little paper facsimilies of your furniture (to scale, of course!) and move them around the paper until you get something you like. Works every time, I swear.

Opera Gal said...

oh hell - that puts my little river view to shame.
:)

glad you're moved!!!

SassyFemme said...

OMG, that view is unbelievable! Despite the negatives, your new place sounds fabulous! Pictures???

Anonymous said...

Such a great view! Congrats on the move.

Candy said...

That is beautiful! Thanks for sharing that pic and not a pic of the cat yack.

Welcome to your new home!

Squirl said...

Hahahaha, Jess would have to mention the cat yack. :)

So happy that you're in your new place. The positives seem to eclipse the negatives, at least from my very far away position.

Beautiful view. You're going to be so happy there.

Can't wait for the pics.

Marit said...

Wow! BEAUTIFUL. It sure beats my view, which is my neighbor's old beat up rusted out Toyota Camry. Sigh...

eclectic said...

That view is almost as beautiful as you are, Kranki my dear! Moving sucks, and I'm glad it's done. Now on to the process of settling in -- it'll be so worth it!!

JP said...

AWESOME view Kranki!!! I'm sure you'll get settled and maybe you can try another shower head nozzle to get some more pressure:

http://www.old-fashioned-values.com/page.asp?i=201&sc=goog&k=oxygenics

Your post reminds me of the 1st day of college move in and finding all the nice things people left behind and making the space your own.

Own washing machine baby!!! OHHHH YEAH!!! =)

alan said...

Glad you survived the move! Sorry about Yoshi breaking in the carpet that way; I can only imagine what Frankie is doing to our bed since we left him alone at home with my son going by to check on him...

:o)

alan

ScottyGee said...

Congratulations on getting out of the Canadian ghetto (I hear they have drive by's, but instead of shooting you they toss a beaver pelt at you and say "suck it, ayyyy!")and moving on up like the Jeffersons.

Great view. You totally need to let your hot surgeon fondle you out there. =)

Anonymous said...

OhMyGod, that view is amazing! I am so jealous...wow...

True_Halcyon said...

The View? Beautimus Maximus. The stress? Par for the course. You've officially upgraded!

KinnicChick said...

ooh, lovely! and *sigh* IKEA. Heading there soon to order a shelving unit for them to deliver. Can't order online because I don't want to purchase with a cc. I lurve IKEA. :)

Anonymous said...

Party at Kranki's place!!! That view is freaking awesome. And made even better with a balcony!! Rock.

"I can pee stronger than that" cracked me up.

Anonymous said...

boy, am i green with envy....

Anonymous said...

I am hereby coveting your balcony view. (Glad the move is gone done and finished!) :)