Life in the Slow Lane

Life in the Slow Lane

Monday, May 14, 2007

A Small Gesture

I remember when I was going through cancer treatment all your comments, emails, care packages and phone calls meant so much to me. Feeling isolated is very common as well as feeling useless while you just wait for your treatment to do its thing in your body.

Recently I saw on another blog (which I cannot find again so if it was your blog give me a shout out so I can credit you) as well as on my local news station a story about a young boy, Shane Bernier, in Eastern Canada undergoing very difficult treatment for Leukemia. It is his 8th birthday on May 30th and he is trying to break the word record for the most greeting cards received.

The funny thing (funny odd not funny haha) is that a few years ago I worked on the film about the boy in England, Craig Shergold, who now holds the new Guinness World Record of 350 million cards while he was undergoing treatment for a brain tumour several years ago. It was called 'Miracle of the Cards'. Ah yes, the interconnectedness of all things.

So I ask you fabulous supportive people to, if you can, pop a card in the mail for this little guy.

Shane Bernier
PO Box 484
Lancaster, Ontario
K0C 1N0
Canada

Here is a video featuring the news story I saw.

You guys KICK ASS!

11 comments:

Unknown said...

are you *sure * this isn't going to end up on Snopes.com?

;)

Kelly

my word is qrsbsauc

why am I thinking BBQ?

eclectic said...

It will leave in today's mail. How cool that you're doing this!!

Kranki said...

It is totally on the up n' up as far as I know.

Susie said...

I shall do it. And send some others, too. Even if it is not on the up and up, isn't it worth the "risk?" You know what I always say, "It's for the %^$#%$@ kids."

Unknown said...

I'm with ya on that one - its in the mail!

Unknown said...

I read, I went and got a card, and right after this comment it's going into the mailbox for tomorrow's mail.

I'll also put something on my blog also.

Love,
Dawn

Anonymous said...

I've got just the card for Shane!

Thank you Kranki for sharing this with us!

Nina said...

I'm sending three, wonder if that counts? I couldn't decide which one to send, so I sending all three separately. I have a question about mail to Canada however? Will a first class stamp 41 cent stamp get a card to Canada. I might just head to the post office to make sure.

Naomi said...

Hey!

I'm from near where Shane lives, and all the radio stations, hospitals and stores are pitching in. I came over from Susie's blog, and just thought I'd weigh in.

I've dropped off a card for Shane at the local Walmart.

Here's a link to a local radio station. KISS fm

Thanks for doing this. The more cards, the better!!

tweetey30 said...

I dont have the car today but will do it right away tomorrow. Its neat you are doing this for the child. they need support also. stop by anytime.

alan said...

Saw this and will be picking up a card tomorrow when I do the shopping...hope he gets the record!

I can't imagine being his postman, though...

alan