Life in the Slow Lane

Life in the Slow Lane

Thursday, December 15, 2005

Cheese With That Whine

UPDATE**The day worked out just fine with my suburban trek postponed to tomorrow. I even got some extra stuff done today in its place. I don't know why I got so fluffy chicken about all this as I was not rushed at all. I gotta chill out a bit, I think.

OK. First of all I have to totally apologise for not posting the last couple of days. Secondly I have to totally apologise for not commenting on your blogs. Thirdly I have to totally apologise for posting a whiney and snivelly entry today.

Let the complaining begin…

I spent the ENTIRE day yesterday running around town to no less than three different doctor’s appointments as well as one icky procedure involving needles. Between these appointments I managed to get a little bit of Christmas shopping done complete with the prerequisite second thoughts and over-spending. I also managed to wrap all these gifts with flair if not neatness. After that I made myself an exotic meal and revamped my resume for an upcoming project I will have to tell you about later. This is all about the complaining now. Potential cool stuff will be revealed in the near future.

All together I was on the road from 10 am to 7 pm and then busy at home after until past midnight. There were no naps, which makes for a very grumpy and sleepy Kranki.

Then today I discovered that along with eerily clear skin (sadly temporary) and excess bloat (sadly permanent) I seem to have developed another odd new side effect from chemo. I have suddenly become mentally inflexible and highly resistant to sudden change. Today, while I was further revamping my resume, waiting impatiently for the post man to show up for a parcel pick-up, doing several loads of laundry, washing my floors, reading blogs and doing Christmas cooking I received a phone call. This call came in at about 4:30 pm. It was the hospital where I will be getting my surgery done this January. They told me I needed to come in for a pre-admissions check up before my surgery. “No problem!” I say. Well, they want me to come in tomorrow at 2pm. FOR 2 HOURS! Nice warning, guys! Right smack in the middle of tomorrow, my carefully detailed and planned down to the very second day that requires me to battle city centre traffic as well as make it to a neighbouring town in the midst of Friday afternoon rush hour along with waiting in line at the post office and, of course, doing further Christmas shopping not forgetting accomplishing a couple merchandise returns in addition to trying to locate a suitable refrigerator to replace the one in my kitchen that is freezing everything. Oh yes, my day is TOTALLY FUCKED!

This change of plans is really messing with my head. All of a sudden my stress level is through the roof. I guess I could do the fridge thing on Monday. I suppose I could do some more Christmas shopping this weekend (GAH!). In a pinch I could avoid the downtown core altogether until next week. But the fact remains that I made a list and now, dammit, everything is messed up.

So much for resting and gathering my strength. I am exhausted just thinking about all this. There is just too much for one pooped and/or fatigued gal to do.

I need a wife.

18 comments:

Mr DirtBagger said...

Stacy, I just wondered onto your website by pure accident. I can relate in many ways to what you are going through right now. More than a year ago I was diagnosed with stage IIIC melanoma.

The best advice I can say is keep on, keeping on....You can do it. Don't be afraid of your future. Somehow you chose this path....It will lead you.

KULA said...

Ok, now take a deep breath, everything will be ok. And I totally LOVE that you spell it CENTRE.

But you know what? All I could think while reading your post is KAKA MUSH MUSH! Totally random :)

Unknown said...

Holy cow. When I read what your write, I feel like I am reading my own thoughts. I realized over Thanksgiving that I have become a planner and god forbid you mess with my plan. I wonder if it has anything to do with the loss oc control that cancer smacks you with? I guess I could psycho analyze anything. But if people would just stick with the darn plan, there would be no stress! When will they learn?

Anonymous said...

Kranki, what you need is a butler, 6ft tall with strong tanned fore-arms (for carrying shoppings or mistress), nice trimmed six pack, sexy firm ass is mandatory. Main activities to include running errands, housework, cooking also foot massages and feeding grapes to his couch-reclining boss on the hour every hour and well, whatever else may pop up.

magical_m said...

What katietoyboy said.

And when you're done, send him down to my place.

Just crack open a nice red to go with the cheese and all will be fine...

x

Happy and Blue 2 said...

Wow. It's hard to beat katietoyboy.
I think you need a lovable regular guy who just gets in the way.
One who says loving things like "When is supper".
If you follow katietoyboy's suggestion you will never blog again.
With my suggestion you will never run out of blog story ideas.
And quit wearing yourself out. You won't have the energy to squish Yoshi's head if you don't slow down..

Opera Gal said...

happyblue: what he is supposed to say is: "supper's READY".
and yes, vK you SHOULD follow katietoyboy's suggestion, because we will all BEG you to blog about it, and you know you can't get away from us!

I have always had a theory that cats, being the superior species, should at least learn to DO THE DAMN DISHES or something. (ok, that was for Linus not vK, but he reads you anyway)

Kassi Gilbert said...

you are handling this very well. i personally would have ripped some innocent bystander a new one at some point during my stress related break down.

Anonymous said...

My brain is also inflexible and resistant to change. The part about this that would bother me is the not being in control part. Like, if I had decided to fuck over my day, then fine. I'd deal. I'd move the fridge thing to Monday and be on my way. But when SOMEONE ELSE fucks up my day, I'm no longer in control and that pisses me off.

Also, I just want to say that when I first read this, I thought it said "one icky pedicure involving needles" and I was like "WTF?! Note to self: Never go to a Canadian day spa." Heh.

hemlock said...

I can totally understand being frustrated with rearranging your day because they didn't give you suitable warning.

That sucks.

I can't wait to hear about the 'cool stuff' though!

Squirl said...

I hope it's all going as well as it can.

Amanda B. said...

That's not chemo baby, that's called "getting old". I have the same problem now. Welcome to the Who Moved My Cheese club. ;D

I'll totally be your bitch, but I'm afraid I'm already booked on the wife position.

Susie said...

shit! girlfriend has cancer, has been through all manner of godawful treatments, and she's still getting way more done in a day than I am! I'm such a slacker! I'd better step it up... Hi, Kranki! I think you've earned whining privileges; carry on!

Jeanie said...

This time of year is super super busy, and it sounds like you're getting lots of things organized. The last minute pre-admissions check up is a total bitch, but I guess one day at a time makes everything go faster.
Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Glad it all turned out okay. Learn a lesson from my experience last Saturday: avoid shopping during the weekend!!

Closet Metro said...

You find a good wife, send her my way.

Anonymous said...

10-4 on getting more done than i have....you're obviously feeling better which is GRRRRRRRRRRREAT.

eclectic said...

Ok, if this is as whiny as you get, then GIRLFRIEND, you need lessons! This is not a proper whine AT ALL. A proper whine includes the phrases, "Whyyyyy?" and "Do I haftoo?" and "That's so not fair!" and "You're the meanest mom EVER." Come on down, we have classes virtually every day.