Life in the Slow Lane

Life in the Slow Lane

Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Recipe Tuesday

My mom, who is a kick ass little cheffette, recently found this cookie recipe. She has a real knack for reading recipes and knowing what will be good. She very rarely makes something that is not totally rave-able. We are one lucky family.

I have to share this new cookie recipe that she found as it is one mutha of a yummy cookie. The first thing I love about these cookies is that they totally surprise you. They look like they will be very crunchy, or even hard but instead they are delightfully light and fluffy. Secondly, they taste exactly like a brownie. An admirable quality in all baked goods.

I do have to give credit where it is due as this recipe was in a top ten selection out of 350 sent to The LA Times. It is also from a Vancouver establishment called Senses Bakery. I will be going there shortly to sample more of their fare. Oh yeah…


Chocolate Sparkle Cookies

½ pound bittersweet chocolate
(My mom uses ¼ pound of bittersweet and ¼ pound semisweet and it works fine. All semi-sweet makes for a flatter cookie. Still tastes great.)
3 tablespoons butter, room temperature
2 eggs
1 tablespoon honey
1/3 cup sugar, plus more for rolling
¾ cup ground almonds
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
Pinch of salt
Powdered sugar for garnish

Melt the chocolate on top of a double boiler, over (but not in contact with) simmering water. Remove from heat. Cut butter into small pieces and mix into the heated chocolate until melted.

Beat eggs with electric mixer, gradually adding the sugar and honey until light and the mixture falls in thick, smooth ribbons from the beaters (about 10 minutes!!). Fold into the chocolate-butter mixture.

Add the cocoa powder and salt to the ground almonds and mix; gently add to the chocolate mixture. Cover and refrigerate overnight.

Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Use an ice cream scoop to form the dough into 1-inch balls. (My mom just uses her hands to roll the balls.) Working quickly, roll the balls in granulated sugar. Place on the baking sheet about 2 inches apart.

Back at 325 F for 12 minutes, until the centres are moist, but not wet. Cool slightly. Dust lightly with powdered icing sugar.

Makes about 36 cookies.

Yes, you do need things like parchment paper to line to cookie sheet as well as expensive chocolate since the good stuff tastes better. I love parchment paper, as you never have to grease a sheet again. Splurge and you will see. You also have to have patience, as the dough really needs to sit in the fridge overnight. But they are well worth it. Very gourmet. Good enough for a fancy dinner party. Even better for everyday.

12 comments:

c said...

Parchment paper is my friend. So are Silpats, the permanent version of parchment. They're French, so they're expensive, but so so so so worth it, as I'm likely to spend as much per MONTH on parchment as I did for one Silpat.

I am totally making this cookie this weekend.

Anonymous said...

So the real question is: how does the raw dough taste? I'm thinkin' that if it's good, it might not survive through that night in the fridge.

Susie said...

Bless you. I'm going to be needing serious chocolate any day now. I am so baking these babies.

Squirl said...

They sound delicious. I've got no time to bake in the near future but I want to try them sometime. Thanks!

Kranki said...

misfit-my mom has a silpat too. Pretty cool thing. I don't even have a proper oven so I don't even bake. I hope you find these babies as yummy as I do. Let me know.

sharkey-that is a good question. I am sure you can answer it for me. I don't bake so I have never made these myself. I just go visit mom and pillage her supply. I imagine the dough would be good. But the cookies are freakin' amazing so I hope some dough survives the night.

Susie-they are very chocolately so they should do the trick. I make yummy noises the whole time I eat them. I bet you will do the same.

squirl-they are not a quick to make recipe but I hope you'll enjoy them some time in the future. I can't rave about them enough.

Anonymous said...

sweet-these sound awesome! i'm so making them to take to the cottage with me. thanx 4 the recipe.

Anonymous said...

The Mom is indeed a fine cook. Blessings on her head for finding and trying these cookies. Blessings on your head for passing on the recipe. Can't wait to try them.

I too love parchment, but I buy the no name brand at Superstore and it works just as well as the expensive stuff. I could never summon the courage to put out all that money at once for a Silpat.

Kranki said...

Blogaholic-I hope they don't disappoint. Perfect cottage fare. Let me know how they go down.

Lbo- you really NEED to ask for a Silpat for Christmas or something. Joy. You will all love these cookies. I cannot rave about them enough. Worth the cost and the time. The texture is marvelous and quite uncookie-like.

Anonymous said...

Oh my god Mou....I am drooling...
I can't make these as David will eat them all in one night and blame me for the rest of his life for the pounds he gained in the process! :)

I will make them....
Tmou
xxxx

Unknown said...

I LOVE getting new recipes! Can't wait to try these. Thanks for sharing with us!

Anonymous said...

and if you are a terrible cook, and your mother is even worse, you can buy sparkle cookies at the Gourmet Warehouse (on Commercial and Powell, or close to there), and Vikram Vij (of Vij's fame) makes a super delicious sparkle cookie with garam masala and cardamum (sounds odd, but is truely fantastic) that he sells frozen at Rangoli (next to Vij's on West 11th).
Douglas passed on your blog to me, and I love your blog and hate that you have cancer. That sucks big time. Bedlam says "hi"!
Kerry

Kranki said...

kerry-Thanks for all those suggestions. Fortunately my mom is a great cook but in a pinch it is good to know what is out there. Thanks so much for stopping by and for all the kind words. And Yoshi says Hi to Bedlam too.