Life in the Slow Lane

Life in the Slow Lane

Monday, June 27, 2005

The Wind In The Smellows

Today’s topic is smell. Obviously I could rant about how bad McDonald back alley meaty smells can make my vegetarian stomach turn, rendering me queasy for a whole day. Or how the joys of growing up with a younger brother were only added to by the vapours emanating from his room. Just last night we were talking about one particular goaty odour that took a vigorous carpet steam clean and a giant box of baking soda to get rid of. I could gripe about how The Reign Of Terry often cooks pungent meals at 4 am and how those oniony odours waft up through the heating vents to rouse me from blissful slumber. I could but I am not.

Instead I am going to talk about Yoshi who is aptly nicknamed Smellie. I call her Smells for short. I profess to be one of those totally annoying people who take common words or names and re-spell them in artful ways to give them street cred. Hence Smellie opposed to a more pedestrian Smelly or Stinky. Yoshi was named Smellie for one reason only, her breath. OH DEAR GOD how can anything so vile emit from such a cute container. I feed her high quality, organic, ‘better than I feed my own self’ cat food. She drinks bottled water from a squeaky-clean water dispenser. No ordinary bowl for her. This cat should have the breath of an angel instead of a dumpster. But that is what she smells like, a long forgotten dumpster conveniently located near a highly trafficked fisherman’s wharf.

Brush her teeth, you say! Bah! Have you ever tried that on a cat? A Siamese cat, to boot? Not going to happen. Just isn’t. Get her teeth cleaned? I don’t like the thought of that, as they have to anesthetise her for the procedure. Too dangerous. Instead I suffer. And suffer is putting it mildly.

Smells has the most annoying habit of yawning in my face. A lot. One after another. When I am sleeping. When I am typing out blog posts. When I am totally unaware of the impeding onslaught. She is a sneaky yawner, that one. It is like she knows. It is like a joke to her. Like men are proud of their farts I suspect Smells is proud of her breath. She likes to share. Think about it. She cleans herself with that same orifice everyday. So her fur can smell manky too. Spread the joy. But then she sleeps in front of the heating vent and her particular personal aura is replaced with the delightful oniony concoctions from downstairs.

Like wives with their farty husbands I can somehow overlook this character flaw and still love her like crazy. And I do. I love her like crazy. Even when I am yelling, “Stop YAWNING at me!”

However, in a strange irony, by stubbornly ignoring Yoshi’s obvious problem, I have somehow turned the word from an unkind adjective to a noun for cute things. In my mind, all sweet and cuddly animals are now, “SMELLY!” When I see a puppy I exclaim, “Smelly!” Or ‘Look at the Smelly.” When particularly affected by the overwhelming cuteness of something I will revert to adjective use but in an opposite way. As in, “That kitten is so smelly I think I might die.” What I mean is its cuteness is killing me. I know it makes no sense but that is how my mind works. And that is what I suspect is a contributing factor to why I can’t get a date.

14 comments:

Candy said...

I know its scary to take them in, but you should talk to your vet and try it, one of my cats had such a breath problem and just recently one of her canine teeth fell out, she had to go on antibiotics and the whole thing. I havent had her for long, she belong to a friend who passed away. The vet feels that she was fed moist food too much and not enough crunchy food and it caused the tooth to rot. So she is having the cleaning done, its only a every few years thing. She is only 6 so I was shocked when her tooth started to come out. Poor kitty, she is really scared alot too, she only had 1 eye, but its worth it to keep her teeth in her mouth.

However that being said, when ever any of my babies have to go in and get put under for any reason, I wait by my phone very very stressed out until they call to tell me they are ok and things went fine, and I dont sleep much the night before. It is very scary and hard to do. I really have to spend alot of time telling myself its for the best.

Anonymous said...

Aw, Smellie. My husband farts in his sleep and wakes me up. My Smellie.

Kranki said...

Jessica R-I think it is so cool that you take in all those little smellies that need homes. I want to do that too one day. When I have a larger apartment. About the teeth cleaning thing. Yoshi gets mostly dry food but she tends to inhale rather than chew. Very little beneficial contact with her teeth. I think. When I am more up and healthy (and earning money) I will take her to the vet for consultation. I wouldn't want her to loose a tooth let alone an eye! :-)

Laura-Does he give you dutch ovens? Pulling the covers over your head after farting? That is not cute while softly farting unaware during sleep can be forgiven. Mr. Smellie!

LadyBug said...

"And that is what I suspect is a contributing factor to why I can’t get a date."

Okay, once again my imagination is running away with me. I'm picturing you leaning over to a cute guy and saying, "You're such a SMELLY!"

*snork*

Susie said...

You big SMELLY!

Anonymous said...

Ha--I'm glad I'm not the only one who does this. Penny's nickname is Fatty.

Have you ever been around a little kid, and you accidentally slip and call him/her Smellie? Yeah, my sister didn't approve when I tried to get my niece's attention by saying, "Come here, Fatty!"

Kranki said...

ladybug-Actually is is more me leaning over him and saying, "You are such a smellie" to the cat. Men are jealous of my cat.

Susie-NO! YOU'RE a big smellie!

mrtl-Sadly, my beautiful cat smells like ass. However, that song cheers me up and makes everything ok in the end.

sharkey-I haven't slipped up around kids but often have told total strangers on the street that their dogs are such smellies. They don't appreciate this as much as I do.

HDL-Well, she has become stinkier breath-wise over time but much less farty. As a kitten she could clear a room.

c said...

Katie = Taters

Mikey = Moozers

Woody = Woody

Yeah, I ran out of cute when he came along.

Opera Gal said...

i call Linus "tennis-ball head" because his head is the SAME EXACT SIZE and shape of a tennis ball. he has a song too.

Kranki said...

misfit-Woody's name is cute enough all on its own. Woody Puddy Tat. Have I seen pics of these beasties?

wfropera-Tennis Ball head! I need to see a close up of that head. Check for myself. I think I need to hear his song too.

Ern said...

Does Smellie lick your face? Our cat has taken to licking faces and it is smelly, smelly, smelly. But so sweet.

Kranki said...

ern-yes she does and yes it is very cute and yes it is VERY horrible.

Squirl said...

When I was a teenager I brought home a beautiful smoke persian that needed a home. The people who had it had been feeding him dog food. His farts would make your eyes water.

Kranki said...

s-I call Yoshi Bubba as well. Actually she has far too many nicknames. I have never been to NJ let alone in the heat of July. I will take your word for it smell calibre.

Squirl- such smells from such a beautiful cat. Did you name if Oxymoron?