Life in the Slow Lane

Life in the Slow Lane

Sunday, March 27, 2005

Emotional Maturity or Fear Paralysis?

Spoonleg has been sending me photos of her beloved Oscar. This cat is GORGEOUS!!! Apparently he also has a crush on Yoshi. I find this very sweet. I am also a little bit jealous as nobody has a crush on me. Yoshi is perpetually single like myself but I will let you know if any kitty lust comes about.

Anyway, Spoonleg was telling me a funny story about Oscar that reminded me of an incident with Yoshi that I had completely forgotten about. And I have photo proof as well, which makes this story even better.

Yoshi follows me around like a dog most of the time and is insanely curious about what is in ALL THOSE BAGS!!! after grocery shopping. She checks each item out and smells all the different scents of the millions of people who have packaged, unloaded and handled each can and box on its journey to the grocery shelf. She even tries to climb into the refrigerator to smell everything once it is put away which freaks me out as I could accidentally create a cat-cicle if I am not paying attention. One day I went to the local pet food store for her mega-expensive-hyper-organic-superior-quality-food-better-than-I-buy-my-own-self supply. Once home I got distracted and left the bags on the kitchen floor intending to unload it all later. As I was going on about my day I noticed Yoshi sitting patiently by her food in their bags. How cute, I thought. She knows it is her stuff. Several minutes go by and she still sitting by those bags. I go into another room and do some more stuff and walk by the kitchen and she is still sitting by her bags. I think, WOW! She is sure curious about those bags. More time elapses and I realize that the damned cat has been sitting by her food bags for about 45 minutes. This time I actually walk into the kitchen and see that she has inserted her head through one of the carrier bag handles and has been patiently waiting all this time for me to do something about it.

So what is the first thing I do? I laugh my ass off. What is the second thing I do? I get my camera and take photos. Then I laugh some more and call some people to tell them about it. Then I simply lifted the handle over her head and she calmly went straight to her food dish for sustenance. Obviously, 45 minutes is a long time without crunchies. I don’t know if she is really dumb or completely brilliant but she cracks me up EVERYDAY!

The photos are below since I can't seem to insert a photo in a post without breaking the photo link. Maybe I should ask Yoshi how to do it.

1 comment:

Kranki said...

mtrl and spoonleg

Don't you just wish you could get inside their little brains and fully understand why cats are they way they are? Or maybe not...I think guessing is much better. Our scenarios are probably more entertaining. I love that they can make us laugh everyday. I am pretty sure they do it on purpose too. Everybody run to your cat and SQUEEEEEZE them!