Life in the Slow Lane

Life in the Slow Lane

Thursday, April 21, 2005

Bring On The Drugs!

Well tomorrow is Chemo Day-Part 1. I am nauseous already. While I was sitting in the waiting room to see my oncologist today I was very very anxious and queasy. Then the nurse called for a Mr. Hurly and I damned near fell off my chair. That was just too spooky.

I hope that I will be able to blog as often as I have been but if you don’t hear from me for a couple days please don’t worry. I'll fire off a post as soon as I can. If I had a laptop I would blog chemo real time. Maybe I should add one to my amazon.com wishlist.

I got a message on my machine from The Agency the other day. It took me a second to realise that it was the Cancer Agency calling. Not my modelling agency. Not the CIA. Nothing as wild or exciting. Or was it? It would be very easy for me to create a wild and wonderful fantasy around my situation. All the calls. All the tests. I am being prepped for some secret mission. I am going to be The Bionic Woman who has to go undercover on the runways of Paris Fashion Week. It all makes perfect sense now. When is the shopping part?

So tonight life once again intrudes upon my diva persona and I have to vacuum out the couch so my mom does not have to sleep in crumbs and cat hair while waiting on me hand and foot over the next couple days. Then the cat box must be cleaned and bleached so no poo germs frolic in my breathable atmosphere. I also have to drink an inhuman amount of water tonight before my chemo. I truly believe this is actually a plot, a conspiracy of nurses, so that you stay up all night running back and forth to the can and therefore sleep through your chemo out of pure exhaustion thereby allowing them extra smokes breaks. Brilliant, if I do say so.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Take care girlfriend! I've sent you an email. Did you get it? It's not the same email address that you have here on your profile.

Anonymous said...

Mr. Hurly . . . that cracks me up. Just hang on to that sense of humor (don't let it fall out with your hair) and you'll be fine.

I'll be thinking of you--take care!

c said...

Sending positive no puking thoughts your way today.

I found when I was pregnant (each time I vomitted all day every day from beginning to end) that having a freshly cut lemon nearby to smell really helped stop a lot of the nausea. I literally would carry a cut lemon in a plastic baggie everywhere I went. Sure, I looke like a total freak, pulling out that citrus fruit and taking a healthy sniff, but damnit if it didn't stop me from puking at least half the time.

Good luck!

john boy said...

I hope all went well today. Definitely keep that great sense of humor. Almost nothing better to have during trying times. Best.

Anonymous said...

Oh horror! There is truly something amiss when the divas amoung us have to vacuum crumbs and cat hair. This is just so wrong!! The waiting on of hand and footness sounds more diva-like.

I will be thinking of you all day today, sending happy tummy thoughts and all the peaceful, calm-and-centredness I can muster.

Love from the Afghanistan bound and the Bee and Bug. Woof and meowliness too.

Susie said...

ugh. That was me trying to say something like "you're here in my heart, and I'm there in spirit," but not wanting to sound nearly that corny. You got that, right? Today is the beginning of what gets you well.