Life in the Slow Lane

Life in the Slow Lane

Wednesday, April 27, 2005

It Sure Must Have Been A Great Party 'Cause I'm Still Sufferin'

Day 6 of Chemofication

This is really starting to suck ass. I had a good night with little nausea then really bad symptoms this morning. Then I ate a couple plain boiled potatoes and a few grapes and the nausea magically disappeared. I did the happy dance. OK. I did the happy nap and really enjoyed it all while it lasted because we all know what is going happen next. It is going to come back. And it did. REALLY BAD! I just feel dreadful.

But there is good news in all this. I am not so tired and weak. Eating is becoming a little easier. Cold cold grapes are magical! Sugar sweet stuff is not good. Ginger ale, normally nectar of the gods for me, tastes vile. People have told me that this is similar to pregnancy with weird taste changes and being negatively affected by smells. Let me just say this. NO BABIES EVER!!! I will never go through this again. Children are cute and all… but this is BEEEEEYUCK!

My poor mom came over last night to stay over and she’d had a lovely mani/pedi several hours earlier. Well the smell of whatever lotion they put on her skin grossed me out so much she had to shower. I couldn’t even have her in the same apartment with me. I felt so bad. There is a pear tree in my backyard and the smell of the blossoms is making want to hurl. BLOSSOMS! It is difficult to appreciate the enormity of the wrongness of this.

They, the EXPERTS, assure me it will get better and I know it will. What kinda happened is that I was only supposed to take one of my anti-nausea meds for a couple days but they didn’t mention that part on the label so I had been taking it all along. Apparently it works, then stops, then causes nausea in some people. Oh.

Thanks for stopping by even though I am not my chipper self. Every comment is read and HUGELY appreciated.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oops! Who woulda thought that an O.D. on the anti-nausea meds could actually CAUSE nausea?!? Hopefully now you'll start to feel better SOON!

Anonymous said...

EAT ME!

Anonymous said...

I'm having sympathy nausea right now. That's how hard I'm thinking about you. Hope it lessens more abruptly than gradually, and all is well in a day or two. ~Laura (laura-flea at diaryland)

Anonymous said...

Sure, it's easy for THEM to say it will get better. Can't they do something now?!

Stronger is good. Fuel for the engine helps you be stronger. Try freezing your grapes. They are divine, even when you feel fabulous.

By the way, this is not the only reason to not have children! But it's a pretty good one.

Keep your chin up. I'm not sure it makes you feel better, but it makes you look taller, even lying down.

c said...

Aw, sorry you're feeling so crappy. Grapes *are* magical. I discovered that during my last bout with the Evil Flu. Oranges were pretty damned spectacular, too. I think I ate five in one hour. They were even better when I refrigerated them first.

Buck up, 'lil camper!

Susie said...

Oh, crankypants. That sucks. I hope you are a top-notch happy blossom-smeller very soon. You're so right. That is so wrong.

Torrie said...

I've got two people close to me right now going throught the same thing. I'm so sorry. I wish I could give you a hug.
I'm sending good vibes your way.

Nilbo said...

I feel bad for the suckiness you're going through. Not much anybody can say that will make you feel better. Any trip out of a seemingly bottomless hole starts with a single foothold.

If it helps, know that you have friends, family ... and casual, interested acquaintances like me ... who are only too willing to give you as much of a boost as they can.

We don't get to pick the direction the wind is blowing. But we do get to adjust our sails ...

(Oh, way to go. Make her seasick. Nice.)

Dang Cold.. said...

Hang in there dear you're doin' fine. I'll be reading and sending good vibes westward from Toronto. Vancouver huh? Come see the pic of me on my blog and check out the T-shirt I'm wearing. Do you recognize it? I think you might :)

dc

Dang Cold.. said...

Oh and the t-shirt is from the Museum of Anthropology at UBC. The print is by Bill Reid. I love it there and I've caught Bard on the Beach every summer for the last 4 years. Chat soon Stacey.

dc