Life in the Slow Lane

Life in the Slow Lane

Friday, April 15, 2005

Feminine Hygiene Horror

OK! I just saw the most terrible commercial on TV this very second. I literally jumped up and blogged it in almost real time. It is a nice couple in a rowboat and the boyfriend says, “This is so romantic/perfect/fabulous blah blah blah” and the girlfriend looks down and points out that there is a leak in the boat. Sure enough there is a hole just by her feet. The guy gets all manly and insists that he is going to take care of it but the capable female whips out a BOX of TAMPONS and INSERTS a TAMPON into the leak with the plastic APPLICATOR and plugs up the HOLE while the narrator gushes about the ABSORBANT PROWESS of this particular TAMPON.

OH MY GOD!!! How ROMANTIC!?! I am stunned that any reputable advertising firm could come up with this concept and that a company would buy it. I can’t even imagine what it was like to film this ad. I am so not wanting to purchase this product.

Then the boyfriend looks down at this puffed up TAMPON and is totally ok with it. He smiles. WHAT? I don’t know any guy who would not, at least, make some snide remark about a TAMPON saving the day. Most guys would jump out of the boat due to sheer fear and loathing of being in the presence of open and water logged TAMPONS.

I feel like I need a shower.

9 comments:

Susie said...

Shut. UP. That is so wrong. I haven't seen that, but I agree with you on all counts. Goodlord, what is the world coming to when we're plugging up rowboats with tampons on the television! I am feeling geezerly tonight, I guess. Take me back to the days of Lucy and Ricky in their twin beds;)

Kranki said...

Susie-it was wrong on so many levels. You are not geezerly! You have class and taste! You are in possession of couth. This commercial had no couth.

Anonymous said...

Yes, I've seen that one, and it's AWFUL. And I agree, most men I know would run screaming in horror at the mere mention of a feminine hygiene product.

The only one worse than that is the one from several years ago, where the woman jumps into the swimming pool and THE WATER DISAPPEARS because her SUPER-ABSORBENT TAMPON soaked it all up. THAT? was horrifying.

I saw your comments over at DGM and wanted to stop by and tell you I hope everything goes well, and I'll be thinking of you.

God bless,
LadyBug

Kranki said...

ladybug-the water disappeared!?!? OMG! THAT is horrible. I don't remember it so maybe it didn't reach Canada or it fell in that brief period when I was TVless. Ooops! I just said period!

Thanks for coming by and thanks for the good wishes. I am gonna need them! I just left another comment at DGM (he is already starting to be more like Dooce)as I can relate to you and the puking/crying thing. Oh man! I am dreading this chemo just for the barfing potential alone.

Susie said...

So, if your tampon absorbs the whole freakin' pool, doesn't your vagina explode? Sorry, I just can't get my mind around that.
Crankypants, I had not connected those dots, the chemo and the vomiting and what that means for you. Feeling a little dense, and even more &*^%$)#@&!!!! at the situation. Up to DEFCON 5 level of praying and sending you good energy. (Thanks to the Spurious Plum for recent reminders of the power of DEFCON 5.)

Susie said...

OK, I just went to DGM from here, and damned if he isn't talking DEFCON 5. Just to be clear, I didn't copy him. I DID copy Plum. And on the marijuana, will look forward to your series of pot-head posts;)

Kranki said...

Susie-thanks so much for the good energy. I appreciate it. Yeah, like chemo isn't scary enough? I know you understand. Anyway, tryin' the positive visualization and all that. I'll get through it. I must say it is pretty cool to know that there are people out there pulling for me.

It seems that everybody is on the same page, blog-wise, lately. Lots of anniversaries. Lots of posts I am finding that are very applicable to me right now. It is kinda cool. DEFCON 5 is so right on! Is Spurious Plum actually Wondersis? Hmmmmm

c said...

Hopefully you'll be one of those who doesn't get pukey during chemo. I wouldn't. I'd totally be a pukey one.

I remember that horrible pool commercial. Soooooo gross.

Kranki said...

misfit-I soo hope I am not a pukey one, too. Man! I am stressing already.

Fueltank-yes, this ad was really stupid shit! That is why I was so compelled to share. Share the h8!