Life in the Slow Lane

Life in the Slow Lane

Friday, April 22, 2005

First Chemo-And I Can Type About It -Poorly

The Chemo Experience – Day 1

I am right back from my first chemo and it wasn’t that bad at all. As per usual it was my freaky-styley anxiety that gave me the most trouble right off the bat. So to follow my new policy in life I was straight up with my anxiety problems and panic attacks to all and every nurse I came into contact with and they were super kind about it. The told me what I was feeling was perfectly normal and they had several different ways of dealing with all sorts of anxieties and symptoms. They went through all the paperwork so I know exactly what to take and when to take it over the next few months. This was good. Then they asked me if I wanted some Ativan. I said, “Bring it on!” which they did with 2 lovely little pills under my tongue. My anxiety turned down a few notches but I was still a little queasy so they started the IV of Hella-Great Antinauseants. Then things really got going. I felt fine and only a bit nervous. Mostly I felt drunk, but not in a chatty way, which was interesting since I haven’t had a drink for years. Ativan is similar to about 3 stiff drinks slammed back. Those were the good old days and it appears they are back. I sat there while they started my FEC chemo. I got 4 huge syringes that were full of this bright red stuff carefully injected by the nurse into my IV. I have heard it called The Red Devil. I call it The Hawaiian Punch because that is what colour it makes your pee. I’ve experienced that part already. Very Cool! Then they put a syringe of something clear into my IV. No biggie! I know this sounds so technical but that is all I know. Remember I am sitting there pretty wrecked at this point reading Men’s Health magazines. Then they put up a little baggie of some liquid that takes 20 minutes to infuse and then I was done. I got another Ativan for the road and am here at home drunkenly typing you all this silly pointless post.

I am telling you now that this first experience was not remotely, even nearly, as bad as I thought it might be. It was a breeze! Seriously not a big deal. I surprised myself. I got a funny little haus frau kerchief for when my hair falls out compliments of some sweet association of ladies who do such sweet things. Kranki needs to get them some funky fabric for the future chemo ladies. Not all of us are in our 60’s! Sorry no chemo shots to post as I was too drunk and forgot to take out the camera. Next time.

Yeah, so here I am at the end of Chemo Day 1 and instead of being terrified or freaky I am totally intoxicated and laughing at the sloppy typing mistakes I am making. I think I’d better lie down before I fall down. More later as the fun pills wear off.

I’ll let you know if it gets harder as the day goes by. Until then…FLAKE OUT!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kranki! I'm so glad it went well! Get your rest, girlfriend.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! You rock. And roll. You have no idea how happy I was to read your post. I think it was harder on this end as I have made myself nausy-ass (sounds kinda catchy though - as in, "Hey you - get your nausy-ass over here!") worrying about you. Oh the irony! But... I wouldn't have it any other way.

Anonymous said...

Hey--I never got any ativan! I had to go through the whole thing sober. If I'd only known . . .

But seriously, I'm glad you made it through with flying colors. Oncology nurses are the best--they really know how to take care of you and make you feel at ease, despite everything that's going on.

Pat yourself on the back for doing so well, and rest up this weekend.

Susie said...

Yes! I'm as happy as if I'd just crossed a bridge, if you know'm sayin'. 'Cause you just crossed one. Sweet dreams.

Anonymous said...

Super! Glad to hear you had a good time there! I can just picture you being sloppy and giggling. Hope the rest of it goes this well.

Love,
mrs. b