Life in the Slow Lane

Life in the Slow Lane

Saturday, May 21, 2005

Pulp Fiction

I can’t say I eat a lot of fast food but my diet sure could use a clean up. I am pretty sure I don’t poop as much as I should. If that was TMI, tough shit. For you and for me! I recently read a book outlining a diet to rid oneself of cancer. It entails lots of enemas, something I have avoided in my short life. That and vitamins that cost a lot of money. I cannot do this diet now as those vitamins would interfere with my chemo and make it not work. If I am going to feel pukey all the time that chemo had better be working! The other thing it favours is juicing EVERYTHING! I have never been a big juice fan but I think I can change if it means keeping the cancer away. My brother and his wife juice a lot and they are sickeningly healthy. So does another friend of mine and while he is not healthy he is better because of it. I have been researching juicers on the internet and they span a whole spectrum of cost and possible features. Let’s just say if I wanted to I could buy one for the same price as my car. Or I can get a decent one for about $100.

I am curious, any hardcore juicers out there in Blogville? Is there a brand of juicer you could recommend? Or do you have any great juice recipes. I have to say I am a bigger fan of fruit than veggies but I’d love some tasty recipes of any kind. And what is up with this wheatgrass shit?

7 comments:

Susie said...

I know nothing. My juices have names like "orange" and "Juicy". My brother used to be a big juicer, and tried to convert me, but I didn't go there. Although, if it could do the things you're talking about, it would certainly be worth the effort. I'm sure someone good 'n juicy will show up with a wealth of knowledge.

Kranki said...

Susie-so you didn't convert. I think it might be an aquired taste. I guess you could always but wine or vodka through it.

requiscat-that sounds really good. I love fruit leather! I am gonna have to get a dehydrater too. My bank account might explode! So it worked for your mom during chemo? Maybe I shouldn't wait. I am certainly not getting enough nutrients now anyway. Thanks for the tip! And thanks for stopping by.

Anonymous said...

A great juice combination is apple,carrot, beet and ginger. And wheatgrass does taste like shit. Imagine chewing down a handful of grass,except 1000 times stronger. Yuck.

One caution about using a juice extractor though, you don't get the fibre you get from whole fruit, so by volume,you also increase your sugar intake.

The very best juicer is the Vita-Mix. Although it is very expensive, it actually make juice out of the whole fruit or veggie, so you do get the fibre, seed nutrition and everything. I would have one if I could afford it. It will also take veggies and turn them into soup, nice and hot and ready to eat in mere minutes.

They aren't avialable second hand too often on e-bay. I have looked. Now you know everything I know.

Anonymous said...

Not everything quite yet. Watermelon makes incredible juice. Very tasy, refreshing and rich in vitamin A.

The Vita-Mix also works as a blender, and will grind grains etc. Another warning though, they are very loud. I think you can get a plexi-glass, sound dampening case for them though.

And I really do know how to spell available. NOW you know everything I know.

Anonymous said...

Hi Kranki - the two above unknown posts were mine. Didn't catch that my name had disappeared,sometimes happens, just like sometimes it show in caps and sometimes lower case.

I wish it was true that a juice diet would keep cancer away. However, if it were that simple, no one would have cancer. Same for coffee enemas. I can just imagine the jolt you get absorbing caffeine through your colon!

Still, anything that promotes better nutrition makes you healthier gives you more resources for self healing and recovery. If you wouldn't eat a beet, but will drink it mixed with carrot and apple, then that's a good thing. I can get behind that!

Kranki said...

lbo- I think that juicer you are talking about is the one that costs as much as my car. I am thinking of a 400 watt Waring. It looks sexy all stainless steel. I know that fruit juice can really pack on the pounds so I am hoping to get into more veggie type stuff. We shall see. Watermelon sound fantastic though.

tabularasa-that is the diet. I can't imagine coffee enemas. Some people swear by them though. I really need to get for veggies though. I am a carb hound.

requiscat-I am so sick of the queasiness that I am thinking of going the pot route too even though I am totally non drug using, myself. Can you ask your mom and email me with her amounts she used. I am guesing she made baked goods. ;)

Lbo-good ol' ABC juice!

Fueltank-I have chemo on the 23rd so I may not be up for visiting by the 29th. Definitely no food anyway. I can't even eat now and I am 9 days post chemo. I'll have to let you know. Maybe at the end of your visit might be better. My bro is not married in the legal sense but they have been together for years and joint own property so that is married enough for me.

Kranki said...

requiscat-I am sorry about your mom. I can't even imagine. I guess I will have to ask my neighbour who smokes pot all the time. I don't have a clue. But you are the second person who has said that it really helps when nothing else does.

I wasn't going to tag on this one but I will tag YOU! Have fun.