Life in the Slow Lane

Life in the Slow Lane

Monday, May 30, 2005

Weekend Warrior

Happy Memorial Day everybody. It is a normal workday in Canada as we had Victoria Day last weekend. Something about the queen and all. Typical human ignorance on my part.

I went to Sunday Family Dinner night at my parent’s place. We get together almost every weekend for dinner, which I think is a great tradition. Honestly, I am pretty much suffering from scurvy by Sunday and a home cooked meal is exactly what I need to keep my gums from bleeding. I do not cook for my own self.

My mom and I went for a walk in Stanley Park, which is right at their back door. This is similar to New York’s Central Park where we have a little peninsula, surrounded by ocean on 3 sides, that is a park in the middle of urban Vancouver. The Seawall is a 7ish mile trek around the park and a must do if you ever visit. Don’t worry as many Starbucks are nearby for sustenance. The park is criss-crossed with roads and trails. The drive is nice but some sick-assed pervert gropes women in the trails on a regular basis. We are trying to catch the bastard. It was totally safe where my mom and I walked, as it is right by the tennis courts and therefore very populated on a sunny evening. One of the main attractions of this particular corner of the park is an area of trees that house DOZENS of heron nests. They think it is the largest grouping of nests in an urban area in the world. It is amazing that they nest so close to each other. The birds are so big and the nests so small too. It is a miracle that no babies have fallen out. They are all just getting their flying feathers and are really cute with their downy bodies and flappy wings. They make this sort of clacking noise as they beg for food from momma and poppa. It is the weirdest sound.

I also took some nice photos of the plant life in the park. I see so many great flower photos on various blogs. However, I have the black thumb of death so I don’t have any nice plants in the house. Actually, I think it is my apartment and not me that kills plants. Too hot and dry. Cacti grow great, though.

4 comments:

c said...

The plants in my yard grow and thrive IN SPITE OF me. It's good that they're outside.

Dang Cold.. said...

Damn I love Vancouver *sniff*

dc

Squirl said...

Sounds like a nice place to walk. Except for the pervert, of course. Hope he's caught soon.

Kranki said...

misfit-I think my plants die to SPITE me. You are a closet greenthumb, I betcha!

dang-I feel so lucky to live here. You'll be here this summer, won't ya? For Bard on the Beach? I can see the red and white tents from my window. Summer here ROCKS!

squirl-the pervert really pisses me off. Vancouver is a great walking city. Stanley Park is wonderful. Lots of beaches too. And the mountains. Come visit.